This week in science class, we were discussing carnivores, herbivores and omnivores. My students quickly piped up with the fact that humans are omnivores since we eat both producers and consumers (plants and "meat"). They even said correctly that dogs are carnivores, but then this little girl who does not usually freely participate in class discussions timidly raise her hand. She said kind of "matter-of factly" that we use to all be herbivores....While some of the class kind of raised an eyebrow at this remark, she continued by saying that it was only after Adam, the first man, sinned for the first time that death entered the earth. Before then, there was no death. Sin brought death to the earth and so, it was only after this event that humans and other animals became carnivores/omnivores. I let this girl lead the class into a great discussion. They wanted to know whether plants died before the fall, and they were not sure whether if before the fall, animals could eat other animals. Although we did not come up with all the answers, I sat amazed at the fact that I was sitting amongst sixth graders... A little sixth grade girl was integrating the Bible and science on her own (with a little help from her parents, I'm sure). It was a beautiful moment....
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
what a sweet testimony in your class. glad you got to experience that. we miss you!! when's the next party?!??!?!
Post a Comment