I have spent a lot of time lately wondering what it is like to be 95. My great uncle Doc lives with my parents, and so I have been observing and spending time with him all summer long. He gets up every morning and the paper is waiting for him on the table...someone comes and takes him to lunch everyday, he comes home and takes and nap (while reading the paper), we have dinner, he tries to finish the paper, and then he watches the news. He does not talk much...and he is slightly hard of hearing, but I have learned a lot in the past couple of months. For example, today he told me he wanted milk three fingers high and then someone had to explain what that was....He also told me that when my great aunt was sick (she was in a nursing home with alzhiemers), he would visit her every night before she went to bed and bring her a piece of pie..sometimes chess pie (which I did not know what that was)...Every single night...But this past week was when I learned the most...Ever since we started working on my house, he has asked if he could help. So, my mom took him over and he painted some shelves....The best part is (besides the picture)that he has asked my mom everyday since then if he can go back. Like I said, I have learned a lot in the past couple of months...
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Chess Pie and Milk Three Fingers High
Posted by Cal at 6:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So what color are you painting? We need DETAILS!!
how precious!! so, what does 3 fingers high mean? can't wait to see pics of the house.
Sweet story.
Milk three fingers high means that you take the glass and you put up three fingers from the bottom and that is how much milk you put in...
When my grandparents were alive, I loved to listen to them talk about "the good old days". There is a lot to learn from our older relatives.
I love the fact that Uncle Doc helped you on your new house and that he wants to help more. That is just so cool. Those are the type of memories that make a house a home. Take them in...live them now...these memories last forever. That picture is just a token of what was really going on there. I think you should get it framed and hang it over the shelf...or place it on the shelf.
Your Uncle Doc was blessed by your kindnes...and you were blessed by his. After reading what his normal days are like...what a thrill it must have been for him to be a part of your new beginning !
Sounds like you are taking advantage of the time you have with him.
This makes me realize how much I miss my Grandparents.
Merry Nation (Merriah's Grandma)
Post a Comment